Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Make Haste Slowly

Sometimes I wonder about myself.

How long does it take to learn some of the simplest of lessons?

Last week a friend and I took a bike tour of 35 kilometers, about 22 miles. Having spent the first 48 years of my life in the U.S., a bike ride in itself is not too normal for most people. And, there is is some reason for that: Consider how the U.S. has been "planned" and built, and some of its geography. But here is another story. I thought little of spending hours in the car going somewhere earlier, but on a bike?

Yeah, the effort....

Well, with a good bike and choice of gears, it sure is easier. But....the simplest of lessons had still escaped me: Just take it easy.

Amazing how a bike ride of hours - with appropriate pauses - is not only not difficult, but really enjoyable. Just taking it easy, not hurrying to get somewhere as fast as possible, and smelling the flowers along the way.

And it's so much more enjoyable....providing the weather cooperates, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home